Saturday, February 11, 2012

History of African Diaspora in Spain

BRIEF HISTORY:

The Spanish empire established in the 16th century is no stranger to conquest. During this time Spain was considered, ". . .the vanguard of European global exploration and colonial expansion" (Spain: Wikipedia). Much of what Spain conquered was in Latin America and the Caribbean. Considering Spain's geographical location their involvement in Africa was mainly in the Northern region. The Spanish under the Habsburgs funded wars that took place in Northern Africa. What is well documented is the deposition of the governments by the Spanish of the Aztecs, Mayas and Incas in Mexico. Once again, their possessions amounted to very little in Africa. Much of Spanish possessions, colonies and slaves were in Latin American. The little that the Spanish had in the Northern region of Africa were ceded to the Germans during the disaster of 1898 (Spain: Wikipedia).


There are currently no claims by the Spanish in Africa. However, recently there has been a surge of African Diasporic activity in Spain, Madrid to be exact. It has actually specified around the struggle of African women (B.W.I.E.).

A small percentage of the population are Afro-descendants. Spain currently holds 40,397,842, out of the forty million only 1.30% of the population are Afro-descendants (Cultural Diplomacy). Afro-descendants are not well represented in Spain or in Europe as a whole. However, recently there has been more activity than ever before in giving Afro-descendants a voice.

I chose to research the African diaspora specific to Spain because I have visited before. Specifically, Dominicans have their own niche in Madrid. In Madrid there is a place called Cuatro Caminos which is the exact equivalent to Washington Heights in Manhattan. The fact that Dominicans are in Spain was a huge shock to me. That was the catalyst for research about Spain. I hope I can learn more about Afro-descendants in Spain because I am hoping to go abroad there in the Fall. In addition, I am interested because very little can be found about this. It would be great if there were none but there are. I want to educate myself that is the primary goal.





SOURCES: 
  • B.W.I.E (Black Women In Europe)
         URL: http://blog.blackwomenineurope.com/2010/02/25/african-diaspora-event-in-madrid-spain/

  • Cultural Diplomacy

  • Spain: Wikipedia

  • Spanish Map


1 comment:

  1. Cool so far! I like that you took a different approach. When I think about this project, I think of the influence countries have in Africa. It's cool that you pointed out that there's an African Diasporic influence in Spain.
    I also like that you're incorporating your personal experiences with your project. I think that will make your blog a lot more intimate and therefore very interesting.
    I respect that you took on a country that doesn't have the strongest ties to the African Diaspora as well.

    ReplyDelete